News and events from NCI-funded research and programs
News & Events
Recent Press Releases
- TCGA findings on papillary renal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer
November 5, 2015
Researchers with The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) report new findings on papillary renal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer.
- TCGA study identifies genomic features of invasive lobular breast carcinoma
October 8, 2015
Investigators with The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) Research Network have identified molecular characteristics of a type of breast cancer, invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC), that distinguishes it from invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC), the most common invasive breast cancer subtype.
- Cellular factors that shape the 3D landscape of the genome identified
August 13, 2015
Researchers, using novel large-scale imaging technology, have mapped the spatial location of individual genes in the nucleus of human cells and identified 50 cellular factors required for the proper 3D positioning of genes. These spatial locations play important roles in gene expression, DNA repair, genome stability, and other cellular activities.
- Study shows promise of precision medicine for most common type of lymphoma
July 20, 2015
A clinical trial has shown that patients with a specific molecular subtype of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma are more likely to respond to the drug ibrutinib than patients with another molecular subtype of the disease
- Changing patterns in survival for U.S. women with invasive breast cancer
July 20, 2015
Large-scale study helps clarify factors associated with breast cancer survival in women of all ages.
- TCGA study improves understanding of genetic drivers of cutaneous melanoma
June 18, 2015
A comprehensive analysis of the genome of cutaneous melanoma has provided new insights into the roles of frequently mutated cancer genes and other genomic alterations that drive the development of this disease.
- Genomic underpinnings of brain tumors expanded
June 10, 2015
TCGA researchers analyzed nearly 300 cases of diffuse low- and intermediate-grade gliomas, which together comprise lower-grade gliomas. LGGs occur mainly in adults and include astrocytomas, oligodendrogliomas and oligoastrocytomas.
- Benefit of fewer than three doses of HPV vaccine reported
June 10, 2015
Analysis of two independent HPV trials find benefit from fewer than 3 doses of the of the HPV 16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccine (Cervarix®).
- NCI-MATCH trial will link targeted cancer drugs to gene abnormalities
June 1, 2015
Investigators for the nationwide trial, NCI-MATCH: Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice, announced that the trial will seek to determine whether targeted therapies for people whose tumors have specific gene mutations will be effective regardless of their cancer type. NCI-MATCH will incorporate more than 20 different study drugs or drug combinations, each targeting a specific gene mutation, in order to match each patient in the trial with a therapy that targets a molecular abnormality in their tumor.